Facts about Colin Campbell (Chemicals) Pty Ltd October 2013
For some of my readers you know who we are and where we came from. With an increasing readership of this blog and many of you reading this outside of Australia I though I would give you a quick history on our company.
HISTORY & INNOVATIONS
The company started back in 1940. We initially had products for horticulture markets, mainly in apples and pears. We then satrted to expand our range and from the 1960’s we started offering innovative products dedicated to turf management.
These days we sell a wide range of products in horticulture and turf. We also offer a range of post harvest protection products for citrus, cherries, grapes, vegetables, potatoes and apples as well.
Our products are either made locally or are sourced from reputable suppliers we have been dealing with for quite sometime from US, Japan and Europe. In fact we have some partnerships with suppliers that have spanned over 40 years.
Some of the well known achievements of Colin Campbell (Chemicals) Pty Ltd turf divisions has been
- Introduced mancozeb to the turf market
- First liquid thiram (this is taken for granted now as before the late 80’s thiram in a liquid was very difficult to formulate as a stable product)
- Developed 3 way herbicides in Methar Tri Kombi and Sportsground which are still just as reliable today as they were back 30 years ago.
- Introduced Pennside in 1985- microencapsulated diazinon inseciticde which was not only effective but gave longer residual and safety benefits over any other insecticide available at the time. This was the first microencapsulated insecticide introduced to Australia.
- Devloped Tru blue the first acid dye spray indicator to be widely used in turf management
- In 1971 we introduced Daconil (chlorothalonil) into Australia and continued to reformulate the product from a powder to a liquid in the 80’s and 90’s but always keeping the essence of broad spectrum disease control and superior sticking capabilities. Since 2003 we have changed the name to Dacogreen 720 and most recently in 2009 developed Dacogreen WeatherShield formulation which utilises the original source of the active ingredient and superior surfactants to give even better sticking capabilities and results on a wide range of diseases
- 2002 introduced propamocarb to turf as Proplant- the strongest pythium fungicide that has both preventative and curative propertites
- In 2009 we introduced Blazon spray indicator technology to a wider market in Australia. Blazon is a non-staining polymer colourant that does not stain your skin, equipment or turf like acid dyes can. As we say “No more looking like a smurf”
- Introduced Monstar (flutolanil) on permit for fairy ring control in 2011 Further work is being carried out for registration on fairy ring and Rhizoctonia.
Here at Campbells we pride ourselves in bringing the highest quality products to the turf industry. We test all products stringently before bringing the product to the turf market. Chemicals obviously have to be registered with the APVMA and many trials have to take place. We have experienced staff to do this or use outside contractors who have specific expertise in turf trials and with whom we have established long term relationships. Even when using contractors to do the trials we still conduct some of the trials ourselves to know the products inside out and test them in various climatic conditions.
Other products in our range that do not have to be registered are still evaluated with numerous trials. We use overseas data and claims as a starting point for our trial work to test the product.We DO NOT introduce an overseas product without the necessary testing under Australian conditions.
We make sure the product we are evaluating:
- We determine a rate or different rates to get the best possible result
- The product does what it is meant to do
- The product does not have any phytoxicity issues or non target issues
- Test the limitations of the product
- It lives up to the standard you expect from us.
We do not take any short cuts. For instance here is a product we evaluated at various rates on both dormant couch and bent grass. We used what the overseas label recommended and other rates to see which rate would suit Australian conditions.As you can see the US rate did not work and we had to use the higher rate to be able to see a result.
WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR CAMPBELLS
We have a few products under devlopment in turf as well as horticulture. As you know we have been devloping Monstar (currently on permit) to gain full registration for fairy ring and Rhizoctonia. We are also evaluating a few products we have been initially testing from our horticulture side (this is great to do since we do those trials as well). I of course can’t say much more but be assured we are working to bring innovative technologies (both chemical and sustainable) and new ideas to the turf market. We have been committed to the industry for the last 55 years and will continue for a long time to come.
If there is anything I can help you with in regards to pest and diseases please do not hesitate to conact me via the links below.
Colin Campbell (Chemicals) Pty Ltd
Phone: (02) 9725-2544 Fax: (02) 9604-7768